Author

My photo
Hawaii, United States
I'm Kieran. I live in Hawaii. I like to watch movies a lot and I make them too. I also play around with flash animation, so you'll see a lot of that in my blog.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Persepolis Review

 I had high expectations for Persepolis and it definitely met them as a story that balanced a dark setting with a great human story. The fact that it is animated is not at all distracting and is successfully used to the benefit of the film, which also uses conventional film techniques in an animated setting for surprising effectiveness. The film is also one of the most accurate portrayals of a young child growing up I have seen in a film, and the music is excellent. Although it is a dark time and setting, Persepolis teems with life and death and never seems dull or cliche. Also, as it is a memoir of a person who is still alive, the ending would be abrupt but is tied together by the color scenes in an airport (the rest of the film is black and white). The ending lines are very simple but finally bring the memories together for an excellent film. Overall, I give it 9/10.

Note, I don't include summaries in my reviews because if you haven't seen the film you probably don't want to know what happens in it, and if you have than you don't need to.

No comments: